Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Parent's Choice Night

Since Mike and I get to choose tonight's dinner, we chose a sandwich. Roast Beef to be exact. And for the record, I chose it last night :0) I made 3 Packet Roast Beef in the crockpot and served it on some of my leftover Oregano French Bread, toasted, of course. My personal preference is to add a little cheese and some pickled banana peppers (but you won't find anyone else in the fam adding the peppers).


3 Packet Roast Beef
2-3 lb favorite cut of roast (I used tri-tip this time around, b/c it's what I had)
1 pkt Au Jus dry mix
1 pkt Italian dressing dry mix
1 pkt Mesquite Seasoning dry mix
3 c water


This is really difficult, so follow along closely: Take meat out of package and place in crockpot. Open all three packages of dry mix and sprinkle over meat. Add water. Place lid on crockpot. Set on low for 6-8 hours.



I personally like to shred the meat once it's finished, and since the flavor is so intense, I usually add more water to make the meat extra juicy :0) Makes for great dipping sauce!














Since I slaved over dinner all day, I thought I'd throw in an over-the-top dessert too. How about some cookies.


Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cup quick-cooking oats


Preheat oven to 350 degrees . In a large bowl, cream together shortening, margarine, brown sugar, white sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the oats until just combined. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes or light brown. Don't over-bake. Cool and store in an airtight container.





However, don't do this....




When I took out my first pan of cookies they looked like this:
I couldn't figure out what I did wrong....so I went back through the recipe and realized I had forgotten the flour...oops!






These look a lot better, at least Clark thinks so :0)


5 comments:

Steph T. said...

Sounds yummy! Just jumped over here from Tam's blog because I noticed you were a youth pastors wife...we were in the youth ministry for 15 years!! I also love to cook girl! We recently transitioned into the Associate Pastor...working with adults...wow! What a difference!
Blessings,
Steph T.

Unknown said...

What time is dinner? Everything you make is ALWAYS great!
Ginger

Cassie said...

I love your blog and am always wanting to try new things to cook. Today for lunch I will make your bacon sphagetti since I happen to have all the ingredients. I wouldn't of thought to make it without your blog. Thanks!!!

Unknown said...

That looks so yummy!

Unknown said...

If you don't mind I'd like to share another easy roast my hubby's family calls "Italian Beef". In a crockpot place a 3 lb. roast. Pour over it 1 pkt. Italian seasoning mix (dry), 1 pkt. onion soup mix, 8-10 pepperoncini's (in pickle isle). Add a few cups of water and 1/4 cup juice from pepperoncini jar. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred and serve as sandwiches with mozzerella. It's a family favorite. Sounds so similar to yours!

Post a Comment