Sunday, January 3, 2010

Good Intentions

So, I come here in the kitchen, fix me a cup of hot tea (Celestial Seasonings Wild Berry Zinger is my choice this afternoon - w/ a bit of vanilla creamer...mmmm) and get ready to make up some warm yummy bread. I look in the fridge for my yeast only to discover: I'm all out. Drat..... I hate it when this happens!! So much for making the bread and posting the pics today. I will go ahead and post the recipe I was going to make. This is one of my favorite, easy, go-to bread recipes. It's actually one of the very first breads I made when I first started out baking. So even if you are afraid to use yeast....give this recipe a try!!

French Bread
1 pkg yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 c very warm water
4-5 c all purpose flour


Mix one cup of flour with yeast and sugar in your mixer. Add in water and mix for about 3 minutes. Add salt. Next, gradually add in rest of flour, 1/2 cup at a time until dough forms (may not take all 5 cups). Knead in mixer for about 5 minutes (dough should look smooth). Let rise for 45 minutes. Shape into 3 medium loaves or 2 large loaves and place on a greased cookie sheet. Let rise again for another 45 minutes. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. For "crusty" bread, brush tops with egg white mixture (1 egg white mixed with 2 Tbsp water). Return to oven for another 2-4 minutes.

This is a great bread to go with pasta or soup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment