Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Oatmeal Wheat Buns

Today was a fantastic day :D  I just felt very domestic - which doesn't happen very often!  I usually feel like I'm just trying to survive.  However, today was different -
I got the dishes done!
I got 2 loads of laundry done (even folded & put away!)
I fixed lunch for 2 lil' toddlers (babysittin' day)!
I made bread!
I had carpool!
I made a trip to Walmart with all three kids and I didn't want to kill them when we got back in the truck!
Yaaahoo!

I have a couple of side stories before I get to the recipe....

I realized this morning that Cade's shoes were way too little, but I didn't know how much until we got to the store and he started trying on shoes.  Please keep in mind that my "lil" 2nd grader is nearly 4 ft 9 in and wearing a size 5 shoe that apparently was too small.  I had him try on the biggest kids size: a 6.  TOO SMALL?! What?!  So we gathered up everyone and headed to the adult male shoe section...he tried on a man's size 7 and. they. fit.  omg my 2nd grader is wearing a man's size 7 shoe....
Can you tell which is Mike's and which is Cade's?




I also realized this morning as I was doing laundry, that Clark, my 3 year old is wearing underwear larger (size 6) than my 6 year old daughter, Reagan (size 4).  Nice.....when did that happen?  I'm very observant as you can tell...

Obviously a trip to Walmart was in order (though I really prefer Target, but I must admit that Walmart has some cheap tennis shoes...good for fast growing boys).

This brings me to my second story...

On the way home from WallyWorld, Reagan asked if we could eat at IHOP for dinner.  I told her she needs to be asking her daddy:

Rae: But he'll just say no....
Me:  Not if you butter him up
Rae: What do you mean?
Me: Ask him sweetly and give him a hug & kiss
Rae (with an ornery smile): Ooookaaaay

We made a stop at the church so that Cade could show his new shoes to Mike, and Reagan worked her magic like a well oiled machine...lol  and we enjoyed dinner at IHOP  (I honestly didn't care either way because I (unlike the rest of my family) actually enjoy leftovers, which is what we were going to have tonight)

Anyhooo, here's the bread I made today and it is oh so yummy!

Oatmeal Wheat Buns
1 c warm milk
1/2 c warm water
1/4 c butter, softened
2 pkg instant yeast
1/4 c brown sugar
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 c cooked oatmeal, cooled
3 Tbsp potato flour
1 c whole wheat flour
3 1/2 c flour


Place wheat flour, potato flour, brown sugar, sugar, and yeast into mixing bowl.  Mix briefly.  Add milk,  water, and butter.  Mix well, and let yeast begin to bubble - about 2-3 minutes.  Next add salt, egg, and cooled, cooked oatmeal.  Make sure everything is mixed well.  Begin adding the white flour, 1/2 a cup at a time until you've added enough to make a soft dough (dough will be slightly sticky because of the oatmeal) and mix/knead on medium speed for about 5 minutes.  Place dough in greased bowl, cover with plastic or a towel,  and let rise for 30 minutes or until doubled.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Now make dough into hamburger bun shapes (I can usually get about 18) and let rise for another 30 minutes.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.


hehe :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment