Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fried Chicken Stips & Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I missed my first post yesterday....I have a good reason though.  I was doing our taxes....ugh.  It would be a lot more simple if I'd be a lot more organized.

Just to let you know. I know how to be organized.  I even like to be organized.  You should have seen my room my senior year in high school when I finally had my own room: everything had it's place and it stayed in it's place. (I shared a room with my sis all 17 years prior to this - she's 5 years younger and had a creative streak much like my lil' Reagan - who always has her creative stuff everywhere :D  I love ya, Katrina!)  BUT then I had 3 kids and I've lost my organization somewhere...it's probably under the boys' bed...yikes!

So back to my taxes....I started gathering the paperwork around 2:30pm and finally finished up at 10:45pm.  I stopped only long enough to fix dinner: Fried Chicken Strips, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, gravy, and carrots.  Crazy - I know.  Especially on the day I decide to do taxes, but I'd already promised Mike I'd make this before I got the motivation to do our taxes.

Fried Chicken Strips
3 skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
30 saltines, crushed finely (or your favorite cracker!)
1/4 c instant potato flakes
2 Tbsp flour
2 tsp Shara's House Seasoning
1/4 c flour
2 eggs
2 Tbsp milk
oil for frying


Heat oil over medium-high heat.  Combine saltines, potato flakes, 2 Tbsp flour, and house seasoning in a large bowl.  In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk.  In another small bowl, add the 1/4 cup of flour.  First, dip the strips in the flour, then the egg mixture, then the saltine mixture.  Fry each batch for about 8-9 minutes - turning once - until chicken is cooked through and the outside coating is golden brown.


Garlic Mashed Potatoes
3-4 large potatoes
1 stick of butter (1/2 c)
2 tsp Shara's House Seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
5 Tbsp Romano or parmesan cheese


Clean and dice the potatoes.  Cover with water and bring to a boil.  Boil until potatoes become fork-tender - about 30 minutes.  Drain off water.  Place all the ingredients in your mixer and mix well.

It was all worth it though!  Mike did the dishes :D  I love him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment