Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Brown Sugar Chicken

It's been another busy day with running errands, and so I love using my crockpot on these kind of days. Since tonight was Parent's Choice, and since Mike and I love Chinese food, I made Brown Sugar Chicken. This is so, so easy to throw together. The recipe calls for chicken breasts, but I actually prefer to use chicken thighs if I have them (which is what I used today).


Brown Sugar Chicken

2 lbs frozen, boneless chicken, cut into chunks
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2/3 c vinegar
1/4 c lemon-lime soda (or whatever you might have on hand - I actually use Diet Coke!)
1 c brown sugar
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper (to taste)


Place frozen chicken in crockpot. Mix together rest of ingredients in a bowl and pour over the top of the chicken. Cover with lid and set crockpot to low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours. Serve with rice or fried rice.


As I was reading one of my favorite blogs today (Baker's Banter), I saw a post about a Mystery Cake. Welllll, since I'm a Campbell, here's my version of this old cake:


Campbell's Cake
4 Tbsp butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 can Campbell's Tomato soup
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese frosting (I used Betty Crocker's)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch round pan or one muffin tin (12 count). Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Open tomato soup and add the baking soda, stir. It will foam up like this:

Add this to the creamed mixture, and mix well. It will look curdled, but this is okay :D In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and spices. Add this to the rest of the tomato mixture and beat well (on medium for 1-2 minutes). Pour batter into pan or divide out into muffin tin. Bake for 30-35 minutes for 9 inch pan or 20-25 minutes for cupcakes. Cool completely and top with Cream Cheese frosting.


Seeing as I always get at least one set of the rolled eyes and "I don't really like Chinese" or "do I have to eat the rice?", these yummy lil' spiced cupcakes were the redeeming factor.



0 comments:

Post a Comment